Monday, October 13, 2008

Count Your Blessings

Today Jeff and I did one of the hardest things I have ever done. We went to a funeral of some of our dearest friends, Bret, Annie, and Blake Hafen. They put to rest their sweet darling princess Hannah of only 16 months. When she was born she was diagnosed with a terminal illness called SMA. Hannah was only supposed to live a few months but she made through 16 wonderful months. As I sat in the chapel during the funeral, my heart was breaking. I am not a very emotional person but today proved to be a very emotional day. I cried A LOT!! It was so sad to see the Hafen family as they followed baby Hannah's tiny casket to the front of the chapel. Big Brother Blake, who is only 6, was sobbing....along with mom and dad. It was enough to break any one's heart. Aren't we so thankful for the gospel and all it's truths about eternal families?? I know the Hafen's are truly grateful. The opening song was Teach me to Walk in the Light and it was a tough one to get through. It hit home with me and made me realize what a huge responsibility I have as a parent to raise my children in righteousness. As we listened to the wonderful remarks and the amazing music, I couldn't help but think about my wonderful life. I have the greatest husband in the world who is a great provider for our family and worthy priesthood holder. Jeff is the happiest most optimistic person to ever live. How did I get so lucky to marry him? I also have 3 healthy children who keep me hopping. Today made me stop and remember that I need to be more loving, kind, understanding, and patient. Even if it is at 4 a.m. when Parker thinks it is time to wake up for the day, or trying to convince Lauren that she can't wear her princess dress everywhere she goes, or helping Maddie through her tough moments in life. Today I resolved to be a better friend, mother, wife, and daughter and not take my life for granted. I need to take time to stop and smell the roses, play more, clean less, take more pictures, go on more adventures, read more stories, and create wonderful memories for my children. I know this phrase is used a lot but life really is about the moments that take our breaths away and not about how many breaths we take. WE LOVE YOU BRET, ANNIE, and BLAKE!! I included a few recent pictures of my wonderful children who are growing up way too fast. Can't they just stay little forever??
Doesn't Parker look cute with a pink bow on his head?

GO UTES!!

Lauren running as fast as she can to get to her dad


Maddie with some of her dog collection

3 comments:

Liz & Jeff Dennis said...

I know what they are going through. This is the most harder thing in life that a parent could ever go through. They are in my prayers. This takes time to sink in and to get over losing a child, even as a LDS member.

Miss ya

Logan and Traci Wood said...

Amy, even reading your comment I couldn't help but shed tears knowing how precious our little ones are to us and how easily we forget when they do something we don't like. A few months ago I made a deal with myself just like you did in your message about being better and Logan gave me the idea of writing a letter to myself that I could read every day to ensure that I remember how important my husband and children are to me so that the little things don't matter. Reading that letter has helped so much and I am so greatful for my husband and his little inspiration to help me out. I also included the scripture Moroni 7:45-48 in it because that is truly the type of person we all should be! Hope your friends are doing well and that they are relying on the gospel and our Heavenly Father at this time. Miss ya! Sorry for the long comment!

Olson Family said...

I can't imagine going through something like that. It does make you rethink life and what is important. I think your a great mother though Amy, you have always been such a great example to me.
We miss you guys!!